Friday, April 14, 2006

Evil and Suffering

This post is a direct result of a conversation that is ongoing between a friend of mine who is an atheist (or maybe agnostic).

"If this is the same Jesus who allows children to be physically and sexually abused, allows men, women, and children to be murdered, millions of people around the world to die of hunger, and send millions of people to spend all of eternity suffering in hellfire because they didn't stroke his ego - I can do without his love, Thanks. "

Well, that's the great thing about discussing these things with an atheist. They are not as likely to pull their punches. I have had some discussions with fellow Christians about the subjects raised in my friend's statement. If we vanquish them in our discussions, it is often because we hold up a straw man. Versions of these realities that are easier to address perhaps than the more blunt versions put before me by my friend. How do I intend to respond?

First, I will offer, in truly cowardly fashion, a disclaimer. There are many a great Christian writer and thinker who addresses this topic. They have opened my eyes to things while I was struggling with some of these same issues, and I do not claim to have the keen intellect nor the touch of God at work in my writing as they did. I say this to point out that if anyone is genuinely interested in hearing the "best" there is to hear in regards to these charges against Christ, I will gladly point you in the direction of these writers and their books.

Ok, on with the show. Oops, I have one more quick thing to say. If you are my friend, the atheist/agnostic, or you share the views espoused by them, I have a challenge for you. Are you genuinely going to hear what I say? Honestly, if someone had stated to me what you stated in an actual real time, face to face conversation, I would have taken it as someone essentially slamming the door in my face. I would have shaken off the dust and eased on down the road because I would have read between the lines that you were really saying this to effectively end the conversation. I am not going to try to intimidate or manipulate someone into believing in Christ. Therefore, if I believe that they have given their final word on the issue, I will stop. So, I am asking you again. Are you genuinely going to hear what I say? Not just read it, but give it a chance to marinate in your mind for a bit? If not, then just stop here. Why bother?

If you are going to trash the Christ of the scriptures, you should be at least familiar with some of the basics of the scriptures that form the context in which He is found. Don't worry this isn't about to turn into a full blown Bible 101 class.... just a few basics. First, the Bible teaches us about our ability to choose. Free will. The devil did not, and I think could not negate this and force us to choose to follow him. Instead, he did what he does. He deceived, and we chose to follow him...in spite of all the stuff around us that screamed to trust God. God chose to make us with free will. You can hate Him for it if you want because that is your choice to make.

He does not want you to, however. He longs for you to understand what is going on that causes these terrible things to happen. He wants you to reach out to Him for help and comfort in the midst of it. People abuse other people. People murder other people. People choose to be greedy and self-centered while others starve. This is the nature of our corrupt free will--self-centered instead of God-centered. It is this "sin" nature that causes all these things that you point to and God has acted to end it by way of His Son. You want Him to end it by intervening. Taking away our free will. I understand the emotions behind your argument. There are very, very real people. CHILDREN. They are hurting and dying and undergoing things that are too horrible to fathom. My point is that we share this observation..... this is truly, truly terrible. However, I believe you have reached the wrong conclusion about this reality. It is true that free will allows for the potential for evil, but it also allows for the potential for love. Without free will, neither could truly exist.


I am reminded of a cartoon that I heard about one time. The jist of it was two turtles talking. One says to the other, "You know, sometimes I just want to ask God, 'Why don't you do something about all the suffering that goes on down here?'"
The other says, "Yeah, I've thought about that too, but I'm afraid He might ask me the same question."


Jesus is the way to enter back into the right orbit, so to speak. A God-centered life that will protect innocents and seeks to love our neighbor as our selves. Jesus came to save the world. He does not take away our free will. He gives us the opportunity to choose to believe in Him in spite of all that screams not to believe. He cries for the little ones. He holds them close for all eternity. His justice is also eternal, and know that His eternal justice will dwarf anything we could ever imagine. This life is a vapor, and anything that happens in it, though seemingly unbearable while living in the midst of it will not even be a dim memory in eternity. He is also ever present for those hurting here and now. Many times they may not even realize what or who allowed them to survive or be comforted through such horrible circumstances, but it was Him.


Now to respond to the last part of your statement about hell and ego.... C.S. Lewis (one of those great Christian writers and thinkers I mentioned earlier), says, "There are only two kinds of people in the end: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done, ' and those to whom God says, in the end, 'Thy will be done.' "

I know that the Bible speaks of many terrible tormenting mental pictures when describing hell. I do not mean to detract from this at all, but I want to say that I believe the primary thing that makes hell, hell is the fact that the presence of God is not there. You may think that God is not present near you now, but you are wrong. His presence is the very thing that holds back the tide of evil that would wash over this planet if removed. He longs to salvage all those who will choose to be saved, but in the end, as at the beginning, He will honor your will. If you choose not to pursue a relationship with Him even after He has done so much to reopen the door for you to have that relationship with Him, then He will not force it on you.

A couple of final notes. I want to make it clear that if I were talking to someone who was actually in the midst of suffering from some of the circumstances mentioned above, I would not go to them with all this so called wisdom of mine. I would, by God's strength, be as much of an accurate reflection of Jesus to them as I could be. I would expend energy protecting those in need of protection, comfort those in need of comfort, and feed those who needed food. Actions speak louder than words. I believe sometimes God uses suffering in our lives to bring us to a place in our hearts that we will finally hear His invitation to reach out to Him. I love my God because He first loved me.

Thank you for taking the time. I pray that He will penetrate the hardness of all our hearts (especially mine) with His amazing love.

Dennis.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is in response to both comments as I don't feel like responding to each individually.
First of all, Dennis, I am as open minded on the subject as you are. However, I don't think you are all that open minded. ( I guess that makes me pretty sure of myself, too!) Anyway, I've heard all about free will. I understand the idea that you can choose to make Christian choices or non Chistian choices. But I have always been taught that God is a loving God. If he is, why did he torment Job just to prove a point to the Devil. Job had many choices, but doesn't God have anything better to do than torture innocent, God fearing men? If he "longs for us to understand" he is going to have to do better than that. I'm not "reaching out" to someone who decides someones fate based on a bet they made with someone else. (Assuming that is true)
What is this about hell being hell because God is not there? Can you truely look around this world and not see hell on earth? If this is the best he can do, I don't even want to imagine his version of heaven.
Also, your comment about feeding those who need food is very self righteous. You, as most other Christians, chose to have your own biological baby. Even though, there are many children around the U.S. and the world who are living in poverty and starving and could use a good home. Wouldn't God be better served by helping these poor, innocent victims instead of contributing to overpopulation? Don't they need food, too?
Also, in he email from jslimbaugh, you equate pleasure as being only from God. To me there is no contradiction between suffering and pleasure. Neither one come from God! I get great joy and pleasure from the students I teach and the wonderful people I encounter. I too see the pleasure of a sunset. I just don't believe it is God. I am very happy in my life and experience great joy. I just don't feel the need to explain it away as one of "God's miracles!"
I look forward to hearing from you soon, Dennis.
Love, Shannon

Dennis D. said...

Otay, Buckwheat, let's get this party started.

Let's begin at the beginnin'.

I am assuming that your open minded references are about my asking if you will really give consideration to what I say in these posts.

I believe if you check the context of my asking this question, I was not claiming that I was supremely open minded, in general. The point of the question was referring to the fact that this discussion began where many would end, with a vitriolic, diatribe about Jesus posted by you. These comments are not generally followed by a friendly debate. If our discussion had begun in a less emotionally volatile way, I probably would not have even raised the question.

I have some points to make about the use of the term "Christian and non-Christian" choices, and I think I may need to clarify some things about free will, but for the sake of time, I will wait to do that another time if at all.

In regards to Job, it is sad to me to hear the scenical spin/interpretation that you put on seemingly every scripture reference that you bring up. You are referring to primarily the first couple of chapters in Job and the dialogue between God and the devil. First, the story of Job deals with many very big issues and questions about God and man. One of these issues is whether we who serve and trust in God do so out of fear or because we have so many blessings or if we truly have at least the beginnings of a true love and appreciation for Him for who He is. One of the issues addressed is whether or not it is only for some sin in their life that people are caused to suffer, which is what Job's friends kept saying. This leads to another huge issue of how do we as believers deal with suffering when we experience it. Does our pain and confusion eventually cause us to turn our back on God, or can we say as Job did, "Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him."
Finally, I know that what happened to Job was terrible, but one of the greatest points alluded to in Job is that no matter the pain of this life, as I said in my post, it will only be a dim memory in eternity. We see the suffering of Job, and especially the death of his children and see that from our temporal perspective, but Scripture reminds us that we serve a God who transcends time and space, and Job and even perhaps, his children will have an eternity to enjoy with Him, and Job will exist for all eternity with honor because of his trust in God.


God does long for us to understand, but He also makes it clear that He requires faith. I am sure that on judgment day when He is revealed in all of His glory and our eyes are all fully opened to the truth of this life, there will be no choice to make. You might as well be a robot at that point.

Of course, I see the powers of Hell at work in this world, but this is not hell on Earth. The reason for the good that does exist is because the presence of God holds evil at bay. I am sorry that all you seem to see is the evil, but I can assure that Earth doesn't even scratch the surface of hell.

I'm out of time for now, but I will try to respond to the remainder of your comments when I get a few more minutes.

Thanks, Dennis.

Anonymous said...

I found you!
Humans murder people all the time. Humans rape people all the time, cheat all the time, steal, torture, withhold vital things such as food, etc..., and almost without fail everyone of these humans tell someone that they love them.
If this is the way a human loves, then I want no part of it. The next time someone says "I love you", just snear at them. Because we all know that they are really saying that they want to murder you, steal your boat, take credit for the fish you caught, sleep with your sister and daughter at the same time, while starving your mother and making your father watch reruns of the brady bunch.

Anonymous said...

Shannon, this is danny, this comment is for Dennis though.
O.k buddy. As you know i am about to marry Angela.! Looking foward to kids cause i got the perfect way to make sure they learn.
I will have a set of serenges. One will have the common cold. One will have the flue. Others will have the antidotes.
I will teach my kids character by frequently injecting them with the common cold. When they are bad though, i will inject the flue in them. By doing things such as this they will do right and avoid wrong.
What would you do if i was on trial for that and you were in the jury?
If i believed God wanted His kids to suffer with cancer starve get aids or have their baby run over by an automobile i would probably have a strong dislike for HIm and stop capitalizing Him when referring to Him.
In Romans it says the goodness of God leads a man to repentance. Not the cancer of God or the starvation of God.
You would probably throw me in prison just because i taught my son a life lesson. I had the cure so whats the problem,he will never do it again.
danny

Dennis D. said...

Otay, Buckwheat, part deux...

OK, the last part of your comments talked about me being self-righteous because of mentioning feed those who need food. First, once again I would like to point out the context of the comment. My point was that while I am interested in using reasoning and dialogue to express my views on evil and suffering, I would not use dialogue to express God's love to someone who I felt was actually in the midst of suffering, but I would hope that I would act to help them and allow those actions to speak for themselves. I am not claiming by my statement to be on some crusade to feed all hungry, protect all innocents, etc. These actions are simply a by product of my desire to emulate and express the love of Christ in all situations. I do have friends who have chosen to move to Ghana in west Africa to share the good news of Christ's love through word and deed (the wife of my friend is a pediatrician who will be servicing a clinic that serves 25-30 rural villages). I also have friends who have, among other ministries in Mexico, an orphanage. They have lived in Mexico for 30 years working with the people of Mexico to share the love of Christ with them in word and deed. I also have a sister who adopted a little girl from Kazakstan a few years ago. She will raise her in a home where the love of Christ will be taught through word and deed. I suppose that an atheist could acknowledge that they are doing their part to help the victims of overpopulation, but they would only claim to be trying to live a life that is reflective of the love they have received from God. They also have one other thing in common. They all have children of their own that have not kept them from helping those in third world countries.

Dennis D. said...

Danny,
I love you, man, I do, but honestly, I do not see any coherence in either of your arguments, including the one you posed to Shannon. That is just the truth. Your analogies in both cases are just plain off. They don't fit.

I know the basic thing you have a problem with in regards to my comments and I will probably come back on here in a little while address that too, but I had to say this first.

smooches,
Dennis.

Anonymous said...

this is in response to dennis's coments about danny's comments:

hi, i'm danny's brother Dennis,

Me and a friend were hanging out here and danny was on the computer and started laughing and i was curious about what he was doing so he explained the site to me. he was laughing at dennis's response to what he posted so naturally i wanted to read what he posted and i then realized what he found so funny in your response. See, his post did make sense, as a matter of fact, it made his intended point about as well as it could be made. (my friend mike is nodding his head yes as i'm writing this)
Now, don't be mistaken, i'm not offended that because of your insecurities you had to feign bewilderment toward what he wrote like it was ridiculous or something. That is not why i'm responding. It's just that it amazes me how people have the ability to believe whatever they want if they are properly motivated to. I've learned that it is impossible to convince someone of something if they don't want to believe it, simply because their subconscience will twist whatever it needs to support the deception. And, that was what happened in your case. That was a perfectly satirical piece, but because it conflicted with your belief system, your subconscience turned it into something that didn't make "sense." Oh, i'm sure you'll post back that not just you but "everyone" thought it was stupid, (too bad i'll probably never read it though) i know this becuase that is something else a person will do, in this case on a consciense level, to protect his or her beliefs-lie. O.K. I'm done. Was just in the mood to try and shatter someones deception (of course, because of what i have already said, i realize the attempt is useless and that none of this makes any sense at all to you) but it is the attempt that matters
all in fun its no big deal just poking fun at you were all deceived about something (except for me, of course)
take care

Dennis D. said...

Look’s like I got some splainin to do Lucy. Let me give you a couple of examples of analogies that I think would have made more sense.

In his response to Shannon, perhaps he could refer to a single person’s behavior and compared it with God’s. To say lots of people behave contrary to who they claim to be so are you going to hold that against everyone only fits if you are polytheistic and believe in the wrong action on the part of some of the gods causing you to hold it against all gods.

Secondly, I believe his analogy of himself treating his children maliciously does not hold up because God is dealing with choices that will have eternal consequences. I touched on this in my most recent blog. I suppose that an analogy I would use to match up more accurately with what I am saying about God allowing His children to feel pain whether it be through sickness or some other form of suffering would be a parent who yanks a child’s arm extremely hard to keep them from stepping into oncoming traffic or to keep them from causing someone else from stepping into it. Also, if you are a believer, whether you agree with me or not on this, how do you deal with 1st Corinthians 11 that I also quoted in my most recent blog. Just thought I would churn out some more delusions for your viewing pleasure. By the way, you are welcome to continue to comment on my blog because you observed the two rules. No profanity and make your argument respectfully. I don’t need my ego treated like egg shells. Feel free to return.
Later.