Saturday, July 01, 2006

Professor Sophie rides again

Just a few thoughts I had while riding with my hairy buddy.

1. About global warming, the issue is not whether the earth is changing, but whether or not we are the ones responsible for that change. I do not claim to be an expert on this, but it seems that we should all be willing to consider this basic distinction. I know, for instance, that the surface of the sun has gotten hotter over the past several decades. Could this not be the reason for the slight change in average temperature over the past hundred years?

2. Credit card companies are some sorry folks. Capital One was recently discovered reporting regularly to the credit bureaus, but they do not report your credit limit in the process only the amount of your balance. This can potentially affect your credit score by bringing it down by as much as 200 points. This effectively keeps capital one customers as prisoners. What's in your wallet?

3. Are gas prices really keeping people from taking their vacations this year? Let us suppose the average increase in gas has been about 80 cents per gallon, and we are driving the family SUV at a wopping 15 mpg. How much extra will you pay this year for a vacation with 2000 miles of driving? How about $100? Yep. If you cannot afford an unexpected $100 on a 2000 mile trek, you should probably not even think about going anyhoo.

Finally, please be kind to truckers. I hate to see my hairy little buddy getting so stressed when he is driving me around.

Sophie Out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a very unique picture of Sophie. Maybe you should enter it in a contest. As for global warming, I feel that the earth is headed for a tragic end but we do have responsibility to clean up after ourselves the best we can. As for credit card companies, they make it harder to have self control as far as money goes. In America we want things and want it now....thus the credit card delimna. I know from personal experience that credit cards can be trouble. In this economy, however, it is always best to have one available. I have not decided which one is the better one. Careful documentation is needed for any credit card transactions because I am paranoid concerning their motives. Also God cares and is involved with every area of life thus my cry for widom. Guess that is enough comment on this situation.

Anonymous said...

Not to be argumetative (people always say that right before they become argumentative...), but if we are definitely heading for a tragic end via global warming, then is there really a responsibility to clean up after ourselves...after all if its going to end anyway, does the cleanliness level matter?

On the credit card issue, I have to disagree with the statement that in this economy its best to have a credit card. Regardless of your opinion of the economy the outcome is still the same...if you think the economy is bad, then adding debt is a very dangerous thing, if you think the economy is good, then there is no need to add debt as you should be able to generate cash to pay for stuff.

I am about to sound like Dave Ramsey, but the best option (not always the most convenient option) is to pay cash. But I am part of that cult that will be rich soon, so take what I say with a grain of salt. :)

I agree 100% about gas prices. If you listen to all the "man on the street" interviews on the news or to the opportunistic (coughdemocratscough) politicians you would think that half our paychecks go to fill up the gas tank. Yes, I am paying more than I did a year ago, and yes I would rather spend that money elsewhere, but compared to taxes its hardly a dent. I wish those same politicians were saying that about the tax burden that comes out of your check every week.