Friday, February 16, 2007

No Pretenses

Basically, what I have always taken away from the Mary and Martha story(Luke 10:38-42) is how Martha was busy bein' busy, but Mary was choosing to sit at Jesus' feet which basically teaches us that we should always place drawing close to Christ and cherishing our time to focus on Him above all else including even service to Him.

However, what I was struck with recently is how this story illustrates another problem that I have struggled with many times. Have you ever tried to get your mental house in order before "officially" praying or singing worship songs or attending a worship service or reading the Bible? If you consider how silly this is, it will make you laugh. We treat Jesus like he just rang our doorbell, and the place is a mess. "Ummmm.... hang on, Lord. Just give me a sec, OK!"

This is funny because He knows all about those bitter thoughts, impure desires, greedy thoughts, ungrateful thoughts, etc. I pray that instead of trying to primp for the Lord that, in the future, He will help me to simply humble myself as He makes me aware of my true state and that He is there to lead me to victory as I acknowledge who I am and allow Him to continue to transform me while I walk humbly with Him in more and more openness.

No comments: