Friday, December 23, 2011

Love, Comfort, and Economics through the eyes of my small children

The following is a dialogue between my daughter and I as I was trying to comfort Elijah.  I had to leave for work early in the morning, and both the kiddos had awakened early as I was getting ready. 


Me...."Elijah, I've got to go to work now." (as he clings to me in the early morning hours. I was trying to get him to lie down next to Ella in our bed and go back to sleep.) 

Ella..."He's gonna miss us when he's gone, Elijah."

Me..."Yep, I'm gonna miss all you guys a bunch."

Ella..."He's gonna miss us because he loves us."

Me..."Yes, I love you very much."

Ella..."And he and mommy won't ever stop loving us."

Me..."Yep, that's right." (I'm well into cracking up internally at this point because Ella is putting together pieces of previous assurances that I've given her in the past.)

Ella..."He's got to go to work so the people will give him money."

Me..."Yes. That's right."

Ella...."We can use the money to get our stuff."

Also, recently at the doctor's office, Ella had needed to get a couple of shots.  As 5 year olds have been known to do, she was extremely unhappy about the prospect, and she let everyone know it by crying and pleading.  In the process, she scared her little brother.  He asked why they were "cutting" Ella.

Once Ella had calmed down, Myndall explained to Ella that she had scared Elijah, and he thought they were cutting her.  She immediately jumped down off the table and went to him. (the following is a paraphrase.)


Elijah..."You ok Ella??"

Ella..."It's ok, Elijah."

Elijah while rubbing her head/huggin her..."They cut you?"

Ella..."No, they didn't cut me, Elijah.  They were just giving me a shot, and I was scared.  That's all."

Ella rubs his head and hugs him back.

Just wanted to capture these moments with a written snapshot.

2 comments:

Kirk said...

Awesome!

Dennis D. said...

It was even more awesome and tear jerking in person. My babies are so sweet and special. Thanks for documenting babe. Lu u, Myndall