Saturday, July 18, 2015

Jerry

The first time I spoke with him was to inform him that I had asked his daughter to be my wife.  He was kind and gracious to me then.  

The first time I met him was as we left to attend his younger daughter's high school graduation.  I had come directly from work and had tried to speedily clean up and change clothes from work clothes into "church" clothes.  Unfortunately, it came to my attention on the way to the ceremony that there was a large streak of axle grease I had missed in my rush to get clean on the underside of my forearm.  I was very embarrassed, but he was a mechanic and had gojo to get me clean.  He was kind and gracious to me then.

Each time we visited for special occasions and holidays, I was greeted with a hug and never left without a hug.  He always said, "We love you, son." as I left.  He told me stories about his life, Myndall's life, his family, work.  We played games and joked.  He was a wonderful father-in-law, and beyond being thankful for bringing my wife into this world, I will miss him and am thankful for his family.  They continue to grow closer and closer to the center of my heart.  

I want to share a quick thing that my friend Jason and I recently discovered.  We were both wondering why God chose to give specific instructions to John the Baptist's father to be sure to name his son John.  I then noticed that John the Baptist was the one sent to herald the coming of Jesus at the beginning of the New Testament, and the disciple John is given the honor of announcing the final revelation in the New Testament.  Jason discovered that the name John means "God is gracious."  God chose to announce the coming of his son the first and second time and to make it clear that the ENTIRE message proclaimed in between was surrounded by and built upon this one singular truth....God IS GRACIOUS!

I cannot wait to hear the story of how God welcomed you into your new heavenly home.  Much like you, I know He will be kind and gracious.  

No comments: