Saturday, October 17, 2015

Talk Amongst Yourselves--What is the Gospel?

Just a quick recap on the idea behind my "Talk Amongst Yourselves" posts.  These are posts that are intended to stir conversation and interaction within and among those within my sphere of interaction WITH EACH OTHER primarily.  I will jump into the fray as well, but my hope is that I will only come into the discussion once it has gotten well under way.  I am deliberately seeking to slowly cultivate a community of people who build each other up not just with encouraging words but also by graciously speaking their minds with integrity and clarity and in love.  This may cause us to disagree to some degree, but the church was NOT meant to exist as an echo chamber without any REAL and SUBSTANTIVE discussion in which we challenge and are challenged by each other. 

There is one difference this time in how I am going about trying to accomplish this.  I will post this question on my facebook page also where comments added to the discussion automatically makes those tagged and commenting aware of others new comments.  I will eventually copy and paste these comments made by various people on the comments section of this blog for longer term reference.  I am hoping this will encourage greater interaction.  I encourage you to make your comments on the facebook post if possible. 

Again....Rule #1 Please speak your mind without the use of profanity or vulgarity, and do so with respect.  

              Rule #2 I am the one who determines whether rule #1 has been followed.


What is the gospel?
 
I am looking for a two to three sentence response for how you would summarize the gospel.
We'll go from there...

Thanks again! 
:)

1 comment:

Dennis D. said...





Patricia Delcamp The gospel to me is acknowledging God the father as Supreme as well as Jesus, his son and beginning and maintaining a personal relationship with them and this also means you will be connected to the Holy Spirit as well.

Unlike · Reply · 2 · October 18 at 6:58am

..



David Victor McCoy







David Victor McCoy Christ died for the ungodly, being the substitutionary sacrifice for the sin of mankind, reconciling believers to God; that we might receive the indwelling of the Holy Spirit in this life, and one day to be presented "faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy."

Unlike · Reply · 5 · October 20 at 10:53am

..



Jason Limbaugh







Jason Limbaugh Paul gives a good three "point" summation here - "For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures." Part and parcel includes the element of repentance as a response (Acts 2:38). Then "fruit bearing" as a sign of that repentance (Matthew 3:8).

That is three sentences. One is admittedly quite long, but you can blame Paul for that. My own were quite concise.

Unlike · Reply · 2 · October 20 at 11:15am

..



Myndall L. Delcamp







Myndall L. Delcamp This is the abbreviated version:
Good news is that if i believe Jesus is the son of God and was born of a virgin, lived a sinless life, died on the cross so i can be set free of my sin, was raised from death, ascended into heaven where he interceeds for me still then i will not be separated from him at the end of this life.

Unlike · Reply · 2 · October 20 at 12:23pm

..




Myndall L. Delcamp







Myndall L. Delcamp I also believe that you have to actively pursue a relationship with him.

Unlike · Reply · 2 · October 20 at 12:25pm

..



Dennis Delcamp









Write a reply...










..



Danny McCarty







Danny McCarty The Good News necessarily begins with the most horrible information you could ever hear; and that is that you have earned and are on your way to hell because of your sins.

Unlike · Reply · 2 · October 20 at 12:25pm

..



Myndall L. Delcamp







Myndall L. Delcamp Danny, i am sorry but I must interject here. That is not the good news. That is where we are without the only good. The good only comes when God is added to it.

Unlike · Reply · 2 · October 20 at 12:29pm

..



Dennis Delcamp







Dennis Delcamp Keep em coming! smile emoticon

Like · Reply · 1 · October 20 at 3:10pm

..



Danny McCarty







Danny McCarty That makes sense, Myndall. I agree. I still think that the Good News makes no sense w/out it, though.

Unlike · Reply · 1 · October 22 at 9:04pm

..



Myndall L. Delcamp







Myndall L. Delcamp The only good is God so without him, we are lost.

Unlike · Reply · 2 · October 23 at 9:33am

..



Danny McCarty







Danny McCarty I think....
God gave Jesus to all of us as the sacrifice for our sins (He was crucified, buried, rose from the dead, and lives forevermore), so that everyone who repents and trusts in Him will not be required to pay the penalty for their sins, will escape the wrath of God, and will live with The Lord forevermore.

That sounds like Great News to me. So, basically, just another way of saying what other people have already posted.