Friday, June 23, 2006

The bad and the ugly.... (part 2 of previous post)

I suppose the bad is simply an example of where we fall short in areas mentioned in the good. Unfortunately, for example, it is astonishing to me the rapid rate at which many denominations have seemed to either partially or completely cave in to social pressures that are the equivalent of a cultural mood that is only about 25-30 years old. This ranges from not stepping out and stating firmly that the particular denomination is against any homosexual behavior to actually opening positions of authority to gays and lesbians within the church.

Another example of our failure is our unwillingness or inability to think through our positions about homosexuality. An example of this is heard quite frequently in conversations about the origins of an individual's homosexuality. The person arguing that homosexuality is an abomination to God will often also be exposed to have not given this issue any significant amount of thought many times. On the one hand, I know that none of us possess some insight into this that is authoritative or even unique, but I think generally speaking people do not simply wake up and "decide" to be homosexual. However, I cannot tell you how many conversations that I have had when the person I am discussing it with or hearing discussing it seems to espouse this belief. I do not think this is because they have come to this conclusion after much careful consideration. Instead, I believe it is a symptom of their lack of having thought it through. This is not to say that choice is not involved, but I believe it is apparent that the equation is usually a bit more complex than, "they just decide to be gay."

Thirdly, as I mentioned in the earlier post, our lack of self-education about information that is readily available is another way in which I see the church falling short not only in the debates about homosexuality but also about evolution, embryonic stem cell research, and many other important topics of the day. I know I myself must continue to work on this area.

Finally, THE UGLY.....
Ok, I do not want the church to engage in some sort of campaign of political correctness, and it is painfully obvious to me that we often engage in too many public relations campaigns for Jesus in an effort to make Him more culturally palatable. However, with that having been said, I also think the leaders of the churches NEED to speak out more against some of the hatred and vile behavior that can often be aimed at homosexuals from those within the church. I do not believe that in most cases these problems are coming from the most spiritually mature among us, but this is all the more reason to make it clear to everyone that such behavior and attitudes are not in any way representative of Christ and should be seen for what they are....personal issues that are given legitimacy because they are cloaked in religious reasoning.

I do not claim to know every answer to the tensions that arise within our communities and even within ourselves about this and other issues, but I guess the key is the same as it is in every other area. We must look to the author and finisher of our faith to guide and empower us to live as He would live in the midst of any and all circumstances.

Thanks for your time.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

As for how people become homosexual, I know the answer is not simple. There are probably a variety of reasons...some very unique reasons. It is rare for a person to be born as a hermaphrodite but it happens. In these situations the ideal is for the parents to identify the internal organs of the baby and proceed from there, treating the baby as a boy or girl accordingly. In some of these rare cases, however, the parents do not have this insight and the child grows up the best he/she can and live with the consequences. Like I said these situations are very rare and much prayer and consideration has to be poured into the decision. In my opinion most of the homosexual people are hurting people who have turned on to the lifestyle because someone already in the lifestyle showed an interest in them as individuals and led them down the path. A lot of people in the lifesyle have been abused sexually. When a person is hurting and does not know how to be healed or does not accept healing emotionally, much damage can be done. That is why when I sense myself being hurt, I cry out to the Father for healing right away so I don't injure others. These are my thoughts at this time.

Anonymous said...

Even if gay was hereditary it would not mean that it was ok to be gay.
Because that would mean that it is ok to accept the condition you are born with.
If a baby is born with cancer, then we get it out. This does not mean that gay is a disease. That is not the comparison.
The comparison is simply this. Just because you are born with something does not make it ok. People are born with bad speach abilities, 6 fingers etc. People are sometimes more prone to certain sicknessess because of their genes. They can shuv the gene theory up their left nostril.
And Dennis, who in the church other than the catholics actualy accept homosexuality? And do they really count?

Twisted Thinking said...

I have been looking at all the points of view on this blog since Danny keyed me to it. It was so nicing seeing you and sure missed your wife and new baby. The pictures are beautiful.

On this - homosexuality.
It is a sin according to God's Word. That is a fact.
Like every other sin, the World tries to redefine it so as to gain tolerance and soften it in our eyes. Now, that COULD be my opinion and not fact but I think it is a pretty good fact.

If it was a disease or birth defect - it could be cured. There is a cure for everything - we have within us the power... That is a fact. Isn't that what the Word says? The only limitation is - me. Now, that is a fact.

Keep on keeping on. You have deep insight!

Dennis D. said...

Okie doke. The purpose of pointing out the argument that supports the idea of a genetic cause and effect for homosexuality is so I can also point out the wrongness of that belief by using the findings of the scientific community in one instance. Obviously, we do not need convincing because we believe the scriptures, but not everyone shares our faith. If I can use the very scientific process that many point to as where their faith lies to move someone just one small step closer to considering faith in Christ, I think it is worth a shot.

Also, methodists, episcopaleans, and presbyterians are just three examples of major denominations that are undergoing splits because of differences in belief regarding homosexuality.

muchas gracias.

Dennis D. said...

ps thanks for the kind words twisted